Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Buckle Down: Writing Goals

So, I've decided that I'm going to make a goal of writing a certain amount every week.  Yes, every week.  I'm not able to write every day; I know I'm not.  However, I think that, within a couple days, I should be able to pull through, and I want to not only pull through, but also do a catch-up day and try to work to fill in/make up for the days that I missed.

My goal is going to be to right 21,000 words every week.  This isn't much; just 3,000 words a day; about three and a half pages on a normal-sized word document.  I'm going to keep working until I can make this goal and then surpass it.  Then I'm going to raise the count.

To help keep me on track, I'm hoping you guys will help.  Yell at me every week that I don't meet the goal and give me a big pat on the back on days that I do reach it. 

I've never been much of a fan of forcing myself to write or giving myself a goal to write to, because I've always felt like, if I do that, it'll take some of the enjoyment out of writing, and I'm still a little worried about that being a problem.  However, I think it's worth effort to get me out of this lazy little slum I'm in and get some real writing done.

The way I'm going to work this...  Every Monday I'm going to post up what I wrote for that week and see if I reached the goal.  After that, I start fresh: 0/21,000 words.  I'm really hoping you guys will be able to help me do this.  A big advanced thank you for anyone that tries to help me stay on track.

So, that's all I had to say; my late night post for something I just decided to do.

Gave a nice evening/early morning to all of you.

~Maddi J.

5 comments:

  1. sounds awesome :) I should really set myself something like this, but I hate goals and stuff like that and if anything it would only serve me to show me what I could have done.

    I do wish you the very best and that you can keep up your goal!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joe. You better help beat me into doing this. I'm depending on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the past two days (yesterday and today) I've written 6,044 words. So I'm JUST over where I want to be right now. Hoping that I can get another 3,000 in tomorrow. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! I also wrote a lot of words yesterday, but now I need to work on edits of Lumen and I'm starting to stress myself out :( and YAY!! you're doing well so far, keep an excel document of your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priorities, priorities...

    Are you going to save JulNoWriMo for later, than? You could always make yourself, like, a FebNoWriMo or whatever, once the work you need to get done on Lumen is done.

    ReplyDelete