Saturday, July 2, 2011

-sigh-

So, as it happens, I didn't end up writing a JulNoWriMo book this year (I know we're only two days in, but I'm really at a loss for an idea to write about). How depressing. But I got a couple people to do it themselves this year (Jooooe!).

Right now I'm trying to figure out how many pages my book will be. Right now it looks like I can make it a little over 200 pages. But, if I'm lucky and me and LJ can get some serious writing done once she's out of school (damn the long school years in England) then we might be able to get it up to 300, which I'd be very comfortable with. But 200 isn't a bad length, either. XP

I'm also working on writing Chapter 28 of ItC. It's been long enough that I need to include a chapter about a major character (not a MAIN character, mind you, a MAJOR character). I like to add in a chapter every now and then that's about characters that are important to the story but aren't main characters. For example, the chapter I'm writing now is from one of the bad guy's POV. I think doing character jumping like this, at least in the first book, is adding a lot of volume to the book, as well as giving it a little more depth. There are so many people that are constant in the book right now, and it just helps things go along if I talk about them all.

So 28 chapters in...working on a major character chapter... After this one (or maybe for chapter 30; I'm not sure) I'm finally going to be at the scene that I'm looking forward to least. In fact, I'm dreading it. It's a big scene where I have something horrible happen to one of my main characters and it's just... -shivers- I can't imagine writing it. I did it before and it was really terrible because I just rushed through it, and I didn't even finish it. I'm hoping that I'll be able to pull through it.

Have you ever decided to do something truly horrible to one of your characters and felt almost like putting off writing, or even considered removing it from the story, just so you wouldn't have to write it?

Anyway; I know I'm going to write it. And I want to do it right. It's like I've been telling people: if I'm going to make my character go through something like this, than I'm going to do it right and not do a half-assed job of it.

So that's where I'm at now: writing chapter 28 and dreading writing the next (or second to next) chapter of the book. But I think that, with this chapter, at least, I'll be able to add a lot of volume, because this chapter deserves description and effort. So...wish me luck!

~MaddiJ

2 comments:

  1. @Joseph: Thank you for the luck and the compliment and the comment. ^.^

    ReplyDelete