Sunday, July 10, 2011

When All Else Fails...Edit

So, despite all of my hardest efforts, I haven't been able to beat this writing lull I'm in.  I've tried prompts and short breaks and all of it and it's not working for me.  The only thing I've been left with is that I've been focusing too much on a single project for too long.

Despite the writing on Bloody Lovely having only just started, LJ and I have been working on it for a very long time (the better part of three years) and my mind's been kind of revolving around it, even when I was writing my own projects. 

So I think my mind needs a break from Bloody Lovely for a while.  But I don't have the inspiration to pick a new project to work on.  Instead, I'm going to go back through my older projects.  Some of these projects are complete (actually, only two XP) and some (about 90% +) are not.  I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to scrap some old ideas that aren't going to work anymore (things I came up with when I was little that lack originality anymore) and also maybe get to work on some old projects that I never finished.

As a result of this, I'm not going to be doing the word count goal (I did fail this week, by the by).  To be honest, I don't have the capacity to do it right now.  And I think that this goal is what it took for me to realize that I needed a break from this particular project.

That's really all I had to say.  Here's to hoping I get some distance from BL and am able to refresh myself enough to work on it again later.

Happy writing to you all,
~Maddi J.

2 comments:

  1. Getting over a writing lull is tough. It took me 10 years to finish my first novel. I could have easily given up - but I had never finished anything and wanted to prove to myself I could.

    My current WIP is an idea I had when I was in high school. It is fun to go back and revisit old ideas. Even the ones that are very silly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Krista, it is fun to look at ideas you had but never got round to finishing them. Break the lull and beat it with a momentous word count :)

    You can even get little coloured percentage sticks (whatever they're called) and post them on your blog like I do.

    =] Good luck chuck!

    ReplyDelete